Friday, December 11, 2015

Book Review: As If!: The Oral History of Clueless

TITLE: As If!: The Oral History of Clueless
AUTHOR: Jen Chaney
CATEGORY: Non-Fiction
PUBLISHED: July 2015
GENRE: Pop Culture Commentary
PREMISE: An examination of how Clueless got made and what has made the movie so enduring, even twenty years later.
MY REVIEW: Let me take you back to the nineties. This was a big time for teen movies. To anyone who thinks it's something new...nope, sorry. They were honestly being made even before the nineties (hey there, John Hughs). As far as I'm concerned, Clueless is one of the best of them. I rewatch it frequently and despite the nineties flavor, it actually holds up pretty well even twenty years later.
So I was interested in this book the minute I first heard of it. It's a very thorough look at Clueless and its influence. It goes into how Clueless got made, what was going on in Hollywood at the time, the cast, the crew, there's a teary talk about Brittany Murphy, and it even goes into whether or not it holds up as a Jane Austen retelling (it does btw).
If you love Clueless or just love books about movies/pop culture, this is a fun one to read. A lot of it is conversations with people involved so the book goes by really fast. It's well organized and very in depth, which is what I look for in my pop culture commentary books. So I say job well done. Even if I'm still trying to believe that it's been twenty years since Clueless. Man, I'm old.
WHO SHOULD READ: Clueless fans, fans of pop culture, movie fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five nineties movies

No comments:

Post a Comment