Friday, December 5, 2014

Book Review: Firebug

TITLE: Firebug
Book 1 in the Firebug series
AUTHOR: Lish McBride
PUBLISHED: September 23rd, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
PREMISE: A girl who can start fires with her mind tries to pull out of the mafia that she's tied too.
MY REVIEW: I have never read Lish McBride's work before this. Therefore, going into this I had no expectations because I had no experience with this author's work before. So, that said....I'm not particularly impressed.
The book is not horrible. I love the set-up of the world. The plot is fun. It just...reminds so much of many YA urban fantasy books that I've read before. The magical mafia thing, for instance, reminded me of the Curse Workers (and the Curse Workers was better thought out). The fire starter idea is not really anything new, it's been done in several series. What helped was the characters, except even the characters were problematic for me, because of the holy slut shaming Batman. Yes, that's right, the author did the whole "girly girls are the enemies folks" and I cannot go on enough about how over that trope I am. The main character was cool to me, up until she took one look at the blonde girl she was double-dating with and decided then and there she must be a slut. How did she decide this? Because she's blonde and had the nerve to wear make up and nice clothes to a date. All of this, without having ONE full conversation with her, or knowing anything about her background. STOP THIS AUTHORS. PLEASE. It's shitty. Girls get torn down enough as it is, do you have to encourage girls to tear each other down too? No, the girl being super girly and liking boys does not make it okay.
So...this one was a bit of a mixed bag for me. I liked the set up, and dialogue, and plot. But it just wasn't really that original and I wanted to scream at all the slut shaming. So...mixed feelings about this one.
WHO SHOULD READ: Lish McBride fans, urban fantasy fans, Curse Workers fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five mafias

No comments:

Post a Comment