Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Book Review: 2 A. M. at the Cat's Pajamas

TITLE: 2 A. M. at the Cat's Pajamas
AUTHOR: Marie-Helene Bertino
PUBLISHED: August 5th, 2014
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Realistic Fiction, Drama
PREMISE: A group of people get drawn together for one night at a popular night club.
MY REVIEW: This was very much a random read for me. It's not at all my usual type of read. I picked it up after rave reviews over at Book Riot.
I think the highlight of this book is absolutely the writing. The writer has such lovely prose. She also does dialogue and characters very well. The story all ties together neatly.
It just...ends somewhat too abruptly for my taste. It was just kind of sudden when it happened. It wasn't a bad ending. It suited the book just fine. It was just startling when it happened because I expected there to be more. So I won't be at all surprised if there's a sequel. But it's literary fiction so I suspect there won't be. Literature fiction isn't as sequel happy as genre fiction after all.
All in all it was a good read. I absolutely see why it got good reviews. It wasn't necessarily my kind of book, but for those into literature and realistic drama type fiction...I definitely recommend it.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of literary drama, nightclub goers
MY RATING: Four out of Five beautiful prose

No comments:

Post a Comment