Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Book Review: The Cure for Dreaming

TITLE: The Cure for Dreaming
AUTHOR: Cat Winters
PUBLISHED: October 14th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Historical Fiction, Paranormal
PREMISE: A girl living under the thumb of her father gets hypnotized to be obedient, but instead gets visions of what people are really like underneath.
MY REVIEW: I actually think I like this one more then A Shadow of Blackbirds. Not that Shadow of Blackbirds wasn't good, it was. I just liked this one better. It felt more...polished if you will. There was more focus and that helped the story along.
Like Shadow of Blackbirds, the best parts of this are the historical notes. This author nails settings. I can picture everything. I honestly didn't even need the archive photos to help me, but they did enhance it because it showed she wasn't making this stuff up. I tell you, Victorian times were nutty man. There's reason a lot of people write about it.
Thanks to a more focused plot line, I think this was an improvement over Shadow of Blackbirds and once again, am eager to see what Winters cooks up for us next. She has such interesting ideas, I want to read them all.
WHO SHOULD READ: In the Shadow of Blackbirds fans, Gemma Doyle fans, historical fiction fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five hypnotists

Many thanks to the publishers for the Galley. Sorry this is late, I'm behind on my galley reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment