Monday, March 3, 2014

Book Review: Minders

TITLE: Minders
AUTHOR: Michele Jaffe
PUBLISHED: January 30th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Science Fiction/Dystopian, Mystery
PREMISE: A girl has to monitor a young man for scientific study and gets caught up in his life when he tries to find out who killed his brother.
MY REVIEW: Jaffe is one of those unsung and vastly underrated YA authors. Aside from the Bad Kitty series (of which I NEED MORE Jaffe, come on!), she mostly does one-shot books and they're usually mysteries of some sort.
Minders continues that trend but sets it in dystopian world. A really interesting dystopian world. I honestly wish we'd gotten more then we did because I find the set up she has here really interesting. Some dystopians should be single books and some should be series. This is one that I wish would continue even though I know it won't. But what info we are given is used to move this interesting set up forward. I will warn that this book doesn't shy away from cursing or teens having sex. So younger teens may want to wait till they're older (or mature enough mentally to handle it). But that is the reality of the world Ford lives in so I appreciate that the author didn't shy away from it.
If you're looking for a interesting mystery/romance this one fits the bill. I still wish there would be more, but alas.
WHO SHOULD READ: Mystery fans, Jaffe fans, dystopian fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five mind readers

No comments:

Post a Comment