Monday, March 3, 2014

Book Review: Cruel Beauty

TITLE: Cruel Beauty
Book 1 in a planned series
AUTHOR: Rosamund Hodge
PUBLISHED: January 28th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy, Retelling
PREMISE: Fantasy retelling of Beauty and the Beast where beauty has actually been raised to kill the beast.
MY REVIEW: Okay, you all know I love me my fairy tale retellings. So I was maybe anticipating this book a little more then I should have and had expectations that were higher then they should have been. That's totally on me. You would think I would know better by now.
Honestly...I have really mixed feelings about this one. On one hand, I love the world building. The way the author incorporated aspects of Beauty and the Beast was fun and interesting. The characters were also complicated which I appreciated. Not all characters have to be likable. But the way the relationship was portrayed was...problamatic as well as cheesy. While I appreciated the flaws in the characters, sometimes they became too much and I wanted to reach in and smack everyone. It never reached dangerous levels like it did with Gone Girl or Twilight, but it could be trying.
So I honestly don't know how I feel about this one. Because I do feel likability of characters/relationship shouldn't trump everything else. So...I say check this one out from the library and decide for yourself.
WHO SHOULD READ: Once Upon a Time fans, Beauty and the Beast fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five roses

No comments:

Post a Comment