Saturday, September 14, 2013

Book Review: The Ocean at the End of the Lane

TITLE: The Ocean at the End of the Lane
AUTHOR: Neil Gaiman
PUBLISHED: June 2013
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Drama, Urban Fantasy
PREMISE: A man returns to his childhood home and remembers a friend he had who showed him a whole new world and helped him fight a monster...
MY REVIEW: As always I have to give a personal bias warning in this review. I love Neil Gaiman's stuff. He is one of those authors who just appeals to me and so it's going to be pretty damn rare that I NOT like anything he does. I think my least liked book of his was Anansi Boys but even that I thought was good so there you go.
This book is no exception to my Gaiman rule. I loved it. It's weird as hell, it's creative, it's thought provoking, and it's wonderfully written. There's something vaguely Studio Ghiblish about this one as well (seriously, how awesome would it be if they had been the ones to get movie rights?). So all of that means this was a awesome book. For me anyway. Due to before mentioned personal bias I can't say for sure everyone would like this. I'm sure there'll be some out there who won't get it or won't like it though.
So another great Gaiman book. If you've loved Gaiman before, I have no doubt you'll love this one as well.
WHO SHOULD READ: Gaiman fans, Studio Ghibli fans, Dark Fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five worms

No comments:

Post a Comment