Monday, September 9, 2013

Book Review: Golden Girl

TITLE: Golden Girl
Book 2 in the American Fairy Trilogy
AUTHOR: Sarah Zettel
PUBLISHED: June 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Historical Fantasy, Faeries
PREMISE: Callie continues to search for her mother along with the help of her friend Jack in 1920s Hollywood...
MY REVIEW: Dust Girl was one of my top underrated books of 2012. I just love this series and the way it plays with historical fact and fantasy. Of course, historical fantasy is one of my favorite genres so that probably helps too.
The sequel went in ways I wasn't expecting and that's a good thing. It's rare nowadays when YA trilogies take different routes. Also, can I just give a shout out to the fact that the author was not afraid to show that Callie was not perfect? Another thing in YA that is rare these days because it seems like authors just are afraid to have flawed main characters, especially if they're female. I understand why of course. Fandom is littered with fans who are harsh on flawed female characters (just look at how the Hunger Games fandom treats Katniss as opposed to how they treat Peeta and Gale). But I personally believe making characters real is more important then creating a character everyone will like. Especially since you can't really make sure everyone will like your character no matter what you do.
So this was good sequel. I can't wait to read book 3.
WHO SHOULD READ: Fans of Dust Girl, Diviners fans, Historical fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five hollywood starlets


No comments:

Post a Comment