Saturday, September 14, 2013

Book Review: Deviant

TITLE: Deviant
AUTHOR: Helen FitzGerald
PUBLISHED: June 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Mystery, Science Fiction (of sorts)
PREMISE: A girl gets a new life when she discovers her long lost father and sister and inherits money after her mother dies. But when she arrives, things start spiraling out of control, starting with her sister's death...
MY REVIEW: Deviant was one of those books that you have no idea what to think of it. Because I'm really torn here and judging from the mixed reviews on Goodreads a lot of people are in the same place.
I did love the author's writing. She's good at setting the tone of the book, giving info, and outright storytelling. I liked that this was a somewhat different sort of YA book that wasn't afraid to talk about things like class difference, privilege etc. It was also a interesting idea/twist. My problem lays mostly with the ending. It's very...abrupt. If I knew for sure that this was going to be a series, I'd say it's a good lead in for a sequel. But as far as I know this is a standalone and well...as a standalone that's kind of a anti-climatic ending.
It was a interesting read, I'll give it that. Just a few things kept it from being really great.
WHO SHOULD READ: Um...honestly no clue here. Mystery fans maybe.
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five spray-cans

No comments:

Post a Comment