Monday, September 16, 2013

Book Review: God Save the Queen

TITLE: God Save the Queen
Book 1 in The Immortal Empire series
AUTHOR: Kate Locke
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Steampunk, Werewolves, Vampires, Urban Fantasy
PREMISE: In a alternate history where vampires and werewolves rule England and the world is used to the supernatural, Xandra starts poking around when her sister goes missing and winds up with more then she bargained for...
MY REVIEW: So I picked this one on a whim when Amazon had it as one of their daily deals and I'm not sorry I did. As you guys know, I've begun a long love affair with the Steampunk genre (we're very happy together, thanks for asking), and so it's probably not a surprise to most of you that I liked this.
I will admit, Xandra is probably one of those characters readers will either love or hate. She's flawed. She's got prejudices and she admits it and doesn't go out of her way to correct them. Most of my love for this book comes from the great world-building. This is a well thought out steampunk world that is interesting and exciting and I want to spend more time in it. The mystery and twists and turns in it are also some good stuff.
So I give this one a thumbs up. Sure, there's not much originality. A lot of it reminds me of Parasol Protectorate and every other Steampunk mystery series out there. But it's entertaining as hell with a interesting protagonist who makes me want to come back for more.
WHO SHOULD READ: Parasol Protectorate fans, Steampunk fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five goblins

No comments:

Post a Comment