Sunday, September 15, 2013

Book Review: Belle Epoque

TITLE: Belle Epoque
AUTHOR: Elizabeth Ross
PUBLISHED: June 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Historical Fiction, Drama
PREMISE: A girl gets a job by posing as the non-ugly friend of a debutante to help further the girl's prospects...only the debutante has no idea she was hired to do so by her mother...
MY REVIEW: The thing about Belle Epoque is that it honestly just isn't my thing. It's more interested in the glitz/glamour of this time period and the social scene and the drama. That's fine but I have little patience for it. It has to be really good for me to want to read it. There's a reason I never got into the Luxe series despite it being historical fiction and in one of my favorite time periods. Same with Bright Young Things.
So...this was mostly a case of just not for me. It's wonderfully written, I'll give the author that. In fact, I say she's actually kind of better then Anna Godbersen (author of before mentioned series). I like the messages in it, even if the author kind of hit you over the head with said messages. It just...got boring after awhile and became predictable as well.
So...it's not a horrible debut. I just couldn't get into it. If the author writes other stuff, I may look into it. It'll depend on the plot though.
WHO SHOULD READ: Historical Fiction fans, Luxe fans, Bright Young Things fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five corsets

No comments:

Post a Comment