Friday, April 19, 2013

Book Review: Mind Games

TITLE: Mind Games
Book 1 in the Sister Assassins series
AUTHOR: Kiersten White
PUBLISHED: February 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Paranormal, action/adventure, mystery
PREMISE: Fia and her sister Annie work for a corporation that uses their unique abilities for personal gain.
MY REVIEW: There have been mixed reviews for this one. Some have hated it, complaining how it's nothing like Paranormalcy, yadda yadda yadda. First, no it's not Paranormalcy and I'm okay with that (and I'm someone who fangirled HARD over that trilogy). Fia and Annie are totally different characters then Evie and are honestly kind of harder to like than Evie was. So I'm not surprised that people didn't love this as much as Paranormalcy.
But personally? I liked it. I do hear and kind of agree with people on the complaints about the writing style of this one. The flashbacking was good but kind of annoying. I've said before and I'll say it again: the Lost style of writing is risky in books because it doesn't work as well in print as it does on TV. Also, the romance with Adam, while cute, was insta love. White, I know you can do better.
But I don't think this book was horrible. Some things need to be worked out but that's why it's a series. I do hope we get more info on the people Fia and Annie work for in the next one because that's where I'm a little fuzzy. But for me personally, I think it was a good book. It's not as good as Paranormalcy but it's not god awful either. The author is trying new things and I'd much rather she do new things myself. I look forward to the next one but I can understand how this series wouldn't be people's thing.
WHO SHOULD READ: Fans of Paranormalcy (who are willing to let Evie go and embrace new characters), Alias fans, Lost fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five kick ass girls with guns

No comments:

Post a Comment