Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Book Review: The Trouble With Magic


TITLE: The Trouble With Magic
Book 1 in the Bewitching Mysteries series
AUTHOR: Madeln Alt
PUBLISHED: 2006
CATEGORY: adult
GENRE: mystery, urban fantasy
PREMISE: Maggie gets a new job at the store Enchantments and then almost immediately after, her new boss gets accused of murder. With a town already deciding she's guilty, Maggie takes matters into her own hands and discovers a magical world in her small town that she had no idea existed...
MY REVIEW: I love mysteries. I also am getting into this urban fantasy genre (a little late to the game but oh well) so the fact that someone thought to combine the two gives me a major happy. There are a few flaws to this book. There's not a lot of character developement, it sometimes dragged (and characters, particularly Maggie's mother and sister and small town folk, got annoying), and writing...average at best.
But for the most part I enjoyed this. It's a cozy mystery with magic added. It's fun. I liked Maggie and I loved Felicity. There are interesting ideas going on in here and I can't wait to explore more of this new world that Alt created in these books. I also hope that the members of Felicity's ghost group become regulars and we learn more about them because they all seem very interesting.
So a decent start to an interesting looking series. I look forward to reading more of it and recomend this to mystery and urban fantasy fans, particularly if you like both genres.
WHO SHOULD READ: cozy mystery fans, urban fantasy fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five ghosts

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in October
One Hundred Plus Books
First in a Series
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment