Saturday, October 2, 2010

Book Review: Hourglass


TITLE: Hourglass
Book 3 in the Evernight series
AUTHOR: Claudia Gray
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: vampires, romance, urban fantasy
PREMISE: Bianca and Lucas are now in the hold of Black Cross. If they find out about her nature, they'll kill her no questions asked, even the few friends she's made. Then there's a raid and Bianca's friend Balthazar is caught...
MY REVIEW: The first half of this book is rather dull. I did find learning about the ins and outs of Black Cross interesting but I found it annoying the way Bianca's mind was like 'Lucas, Lucas, Lucas' almost twenty-four seven. Come on girl, you've got more important things to worry about you know? Plus, I still don't understand her big attraction to Lucas because I'm still not sure what exactly makes them such a good match though I do say the pairing has grown on me (though I still prefer Balthazar but not for Bianca because she frankly doesn't appreciate him).
So the first half of this book was rather annoying for me. Then I got to the middle and was finally on board. For one thing, Vic and Ranulf were back! These two are my absolute favorite characters in this series, they're such a breath of fresh air after the angst buckets that are Balthazar, Bianca, and Lucas. The scene with Vic revealing he knew about the vampire school all along and looking at Bianca and co. going "duh, I'm not stupid guys." was PRICELESS. Then the way he and Ranulf bantered back and forth? Awesomeness. I hope there's much more of them in the next book (and I wouldn't mind a spin-off book with the two of them Gray, hint hint). Also after these two things finally start happening that push the plot forward into ways I didn't expect.
So if you are still a fan of this series, you won't be disappointed. I know the first hundred pages or so aren't the greatest but stick with it, it gets better I promise. Still one of my favorite vampire series out there even if it's not the best thing in the world. Can't wait for the next book Afterlife which comes out in Spring of next year.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those who read and liked the first two books, Twilight fans, House of Night fans, Vampire Academy fans, vampire fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five crosses

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment