Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Book Review: Heist Society


TITLE: Heist Society
AUTHOR: Ally Carter
PUBLISHED: 2010
CATEGORY: Young adult
GENRE: adventure, mystery
PREMISE: Kat thought she was out of the family business for good. Unfortunately, the family has other plans for her...
MY REVIEW: I honestly had low expectations for this. In my defense, I've never read Gallagher Girls (the author's other more well known series) and you have to admit that teenage theifs robbing a museum seems...rather campy and not believable. So I went into this not really knowing what to expect and not expecting my mind to be blown.
But I kind of ended up...loving it. Granted, it is not steller literature and the premise does still seem a bit silly. But the author makes up for it with awesome characters that have great chemistry and an exciting jaunt through Europe and interesting group/family dynamics and great humor. The best thing is that Kat is kind of awesome. It's so refreshing having a heroine whose biggest worry isn't which hot guy she's choosing. Yes, there was romance with Hale but unlike other YA books, I BOUGHT this romance. The chemistry between the two was obvious from Hale's awesome intro through to their banter back and forth and the way they were obviously comfortable with each other.
It was also refreshing not having a bunch of teen angst. Yes, there was a little but most of the book was spent with Kat figuring out the bigger issue of the museum heist. So this book was actually quite a surprise for me. I am most definitely going to be checking out Gallagher Girls now and I hope I'm right that it looks like there's going to be a sequel for this. I'm just guessing because of the ending, but if there's not I'll be satisfied with just this one.
WHO SHOULD READ: Ocean's Eleven fans, you like heist capers, fans of Carters other series Gallagher Girls
MY RATING: Four out of Five sunglasses

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in October
One Hundred Plus Books
YA Challenge
Support Your Local Library

No comments:

Post a Comment