Friday, October 22, 2010

Book Review: Soulless


TITLE: Soulless
Book 1 in the Parasol Proctorate series
AUTHOR: Gail Carriger
PUBLISHED: 2009
CATEGORY: adult
GENRE: historical fiction, urban fantasy, werewolves, vampires
PREMISE: Alexia is a soulless-a person born without soul living in victorian england where people know about vampires and werewolves.
MY REVIEW: I admit: I absolutely loved this book. Is it maybe a tad predictable? Sure. But I don't care. It's utterly charming. To get an idea, just think of it as if Jane Austen were alive today and decided to write urban fantasy. Because that's what this book felt like to me and it worked so well.
The best part of this series is hands down Alexia. She's hilarious. The author keeps in mind that this is the victorian era but Alexia is still awesome, she speaks her mind, has a great sense of humor, and doesn't let anyone tell her what to do. The chemistry between her and Lord Maccon was also great. Actually, the chemistry between all the characters was great, from Alexia's human friend, to the flamboyant vampire she hangs out with to even the vampire queen. My favorite character by far though, was Professor Lyall. I just loved how he was a beta yet that didn't stop him from looking at his leader and going (in the politest way possible) "sir, you're being an idiot again".
The whole novel is just so enjoyable and I loved this world that Carriger created (though I did find how America was presented a tad bit odd but made sense in a way...I guess). I can't wait to read the next books in the series. This is a must read for all urban fantasy fans.
WHO SHOULD READ: Jane Austen fans, urban fantasy fans, Sookie Stackhouse fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five parasols

FOR THE FOLLOWING CHALLENGES:
12 by 12 in October
One Hundred Plus Books
First in a Series

No comments:

Post a Comment