Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Book Review: The Rules

TITLE: The Rules
Book 1 in the Paper Doll series
AUTHOR: Stacey Kade
PUBLISHED: 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Sci-Fi, Romance
PREMISE: A girl with strange gifts poses as a normal high school student while on the run from a government facility.
MY REVIEW: First, sorry for my absence. Reading has gotten away from me this month and honestly...I haven't been really motivated to post reviews lately. I don't know what it is. I still love to read and have found some awesome books lately...it's just I go to review it and....I just shrug. I'm trying to get out of this rut. I really am. So reviews may be random in the coming months.
So this was one of those series I meant to check out last year but never got around to it. It's by the author of The Ghost and the Goth Trilogy which I loved and highly recommend. This one...was good but had a few issues that made me not like it as much as the Ghost and the Goth. Mainly, my issue was the treatment of the popular girl who was literally every stereotype of the bitchy popular girl (although to her credit, Kade did try to put in there that most of her behavior came from family issues and insecurity). After the fabulousness that was Alona, this girl was kind of a punch in the face. So it had some trope issues in it.
But for the most part, this was a good fun ride. It had a few twists that took it in ways I wasn't expecting and it did have interesting character dynamics going on. It's a solid start to a interesting looking series. The next book is available now.
WHO SHOULD READ: Ghost and the Goth fans, fans of shows like CWs StarCrossed
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five alien girls going to high school (poor things)

No comments:

Post a Comment