Saturday, May 24, 2014

Book Review: Half Bad

TITLE: Half Bad
Book 1 in the Half Bad Trilogy
AUTHOR: Sally Green
PUBLISHED: March 4rth, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy, Witches/Wizards
PREMISE: In hidden magic world, a boy born to a good witch and a bad warlock survives in a society that hates him...
MY REVIEW: I have really mixed feelings about this. The writing is good, I'll give the author that. It also was a interesting idea to explore.
But...I feel like that's all it was: an interesting idea. I'm not sure if it ever really got off the ground because whenever I go to try and think about the actual details of the world....I draw a blank. In a fantasy setting...that's not good. All I can tell you for sure is that everyone hates Nathan the main character. Because that was drilled into our heads. Over. And. Over. And. Over again. It got to honestly kind of ridiculous levels. I get it author, everyone hates Nathan. Can we move on to the plot please?
There is a plot...of sorts. It's just really slow. That, combined with the constant everyone hating Nathan stuff...kind of made this book a chore for me to get through despite loving the hell out of the writing style. So I say check this one out of the library first, because I think if you like it will honestly come down to personal taste.
WHO SHOULD READ: Urban Fantasy fans, dark Urban fantasy fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five warlocks getting a raw deal

No comments:

Post a Comment