Friday, May 23, 2014

Book Review: Elusion

TITLE: Elusion
Book 1 in a new series
AUTHOR: Claudia Gable and Cheryl Klam
PUBLISHED: March 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Sci-Fi, Dystopian
PREMISE: Regan's father designed/developed Elusion, a now popular virtual reality service. But soon she learns that things are wrong in Elusion...
MY REVIEW: This one is not really a new idea. People have done the virtual reality world that goes wrong idea before (.hack//Sign anyone?). Despite that...I enjoyed it.
Honestly, I'm just pleased that sci-fi is starting to take off in YA. I know I've said it before, but Sci-Fi can use some new blood and more creative ideas. While YA has its issues for sure, one thing its authors aren't afraid to do, that adult authors kind of don't, is that they aren't afraid to break rules in genres and mix it up. It makes for much more interesting scenarios. If you want to know why I read a lot more of YA instead of adult genre fiction (though I do read that too), that's one of the reasons.
So no, this is not a new idea. But the story is still solid. I like the ideas it explores even if it does get a little too caught up in the romance part of it. If you're a fan of light sci-fi, this is a good one.
WHO SHOULD READ: sci-fi fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five video games

No comments:

Post a Comment