Friday, February 21, 2014

Book Review: Warrior

TITLE: Warrior
Book 2 in the Prophecy series
AUTHOR: Ellen Oh
PUBLISHED: December 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy, Adventure
PREMISE: Kira continues her journey. Basically.
MY REVIEW: Sigh. This is one of those series that I WANT to love so much. It's got diversity, it's got a great setting, a kickass heroine, and the author herself is pretty cool (at least judging from some of the interviews I've read that she's done). But...I just feel underwhelmed when I read it.
It's sort of like those movies you go to that have those beautiful special effects but the story, the acting, and the overall elements of the thing just make it a pretty but blah movie. It really doesn't help that the writing is the tell but don't show kind.
I had picked up the second with the hopes that maybe there had been improvement because sometimes that can happen with series (see Across the Universe). But...there wasn't. It doesn't get worse. But it doesn't get better. So, if you were a fan of the first, then by all means, pick this up. If you were ho hum about the first one like I was, you'll likely feel the same about this one. I'll likely skip the next one and leave the series to people who actually enjoy it.
WHO SHOULD READ: Fans of Prophecy
MY RATING: Three out of Five sighs

No comments:

Post a Comment