Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Book Review: Defy

TITLE: Defy
Book 1 in a new series
AUTHOR: Sara B. Larson
PUBLISHED: January 7th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy, Adventure, Romance
PREMISE: Alexa poses as a boy in the prince's guard when her kingdom is attacked...
MY REVIEW: I'll be honest: I didn't care much for this one. Most of that is disappointment on my part. I was really looking forward to this one and the hype kind of built it up in my head. So fifty percent of it is my own fault. To be fair to the author, this is her first book. There's nothing truly unreadable about it. It's just...flat feeling. It's like when you go to a action movie and while the movie itself is perfectly entertaining enough, it won't be one of those you go to watch over and over again because it's a fairly simple movie that doesn't really grab a hold of you.
I myself am also giving this book lots of leeway because it's the author's first book. Not everyone can write tremendously right off the bat. For a debut...it's okay. Were this a seasoned author though, I'd be giving much lower marks. Because there were several plot holes, there was sloppy world-building, and the plot itself was paper thin. Romance also took over the book, which if this were meant to be a romance novel, would not be a problem. But it's marketing itself as a fantasy adventure, so I feel kind of cheated. It doesn't help that the romance was the annoying kind instead of the sweet/kind of cute kind. All the characters were also cookie cutter stock characters who never venture past their roles to play. Maybe they will in the next book, but I don't care enough to find out.
There were a few good scenes here and there. The writing was decent enough. As I said: it was readable. It just isn't what I would call a must read.
WHO SHOULD READ: Romance fans who like fantasy type settings
MY RATING: Three out of Five I wish this had been better sighs

This was a Net Galley received from Scholastic Press in exchange for a honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment