Thursday, February 20, 2014

Book Review: The Dream Thieves

TITLE: The Dream Thieves
Book 2 in the Raven Cycle
AUTHOR: Maggie Stiefvater
PUBLISHED: September 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
PREMISE: Blue and the boys continue to discover the secrets of the ley lines.
MY REVIEW: I think this series will honestly be a matter of your own taste. If you love Stiefvater's stuff, you'll probably adore it. If you don't mind series taking their time to get to the point, it'll be a good one. However, if you are neither of these then...you probably won't be a fan.
Luckily, I happen to like Stiefvater's style. I do still think this series is rather slow at times but the interesting character dynamics make up for that. Because that's the main reason I stick with this series: the group dynamic. It's interesting all around, even in the ever annoying love triangle. I can forgive flaws in storytelling if you have interesting (i.e. flawed) characters and all these characters are interesting in their own little ways. I admit though, Blue's mother and her friends are my favorite.
So, the series isn't perfect. Like I said, your enjoyment of it will probably come down to a matter of personal taste. But if you enjoyed the first book then you will probably love this book just as much.
WHO SHOULD READ: Maggie Stiefvater fans, those that don't mind more character based urban fantasy
MY RATING: Four out of Five ravens

No comments:

Post a Comment