Thursday, February 20, 2014

Book Review: Unhinged

TITLE: Unhinged
Book 2 in the Splintered series
AUTHOR: A. G. Howard
PUBLISHED: Jan. 7th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy/UF, Retelling/Reimagining
PREMISE: Alyssa tries to deal with her life now that she's apart of Wonderland's messy politics.
MY REVIEW: I was a bit late to read Splintered, and despite a few personal issues regarding treatment of the popular girl, I wound up liking it a lot more then I thought I would. If you're looking for a twisty Alice referencing/retelling then this series will definitely deliver.
Regarding the popular girl thing, my issue is that she's basically just stereotyped and vaguely slut-shamed because she's a cheerleader/popular girl type. It's annoying and I wish YA authors would cut this the hell out. Oh, and before anyone chimes in and tries to point out the MC is in a love triangle, we shouldn't slut shame the MC either. We shouldn't be slut shaming AT ALL. This is a huge problem that is in YA and I wish people would stop it.
Other then that entirely personal issue (I say personal because it doesn't hinder the book or anything, it's just a personal pet peeve of mine that makes me roll my eyes), this was a very solid sequel. Revelations about characters are had. Specifically some really interesting ones regarding Alyssa's parents (and bless this series for making the parents into flawed but not horrible people). There's some good character growth on Alyssa's part and some good plot twists near the end that make me eager for the third book.
So except for some of the same problems the first book had, this was an overall really good sequel. I for one am looking forward to the next one.
WHO SHOULD READ: Splintered fans, Alice in Wonderland fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five butterflies

No comments:

Post a Comment