Friday, September 7, 2012

Book Review: Unraveling

TITLE: Unraveling
Book 1 in a series?
AUTHOR: Elizabeth Norris
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Science Fiction, adventure, mystery
PREMISE: When Janelle is run over by a car, she is sure she's dead...but then she comes back to life by a boy she's never had much to do with till now...
MY REVIEW: Admitedly I have to take a few points off for the romance. Cute as Janelle and Ben were, they were insta romance and are quite cliche. Honestly I felt that romance dragged down Janelle's otherwise rather awesome character. I also need to take off points for head scratching science that makes no sense (doesn't help that the author keeps trying to explain it and that furthers just how improbable it all is).
But other then those beefs, this was a rather strong debut. When Janelle wasn't melting into Ben's arms and gushing about how connected they were, she was pretty awesome. Norris is a great suspense writer who manages to keep you turning the pages. I really hope she decides to go into adult thrillers sometime soon because if she ever does, ho boy would that be awesome. There was a decent sense of humor to the book that I liked, there was fabulous dialogue, and there were fun side characters that I grew to adore and was then devastated when Norris did stuff to them (Alex...). Also I have to give props to the author for the ending. Although I'm fairly certain that Ben will be back as I'm fairly certain this will be made into a series/trilogy. It is YA after all. I would love if she left it here because as a ending, I like that one. But I know she won't. Contracts and everything.
So if you're looking for something on the bit of different side with your YA, this book may be what you're looking for. It's not wholly unique or anything but considering it's mostly dystopians nowadays, this feels fresh and new. I for one am looking forward to book two. If there is a book two.
WHO SHOULD READ: Sci-Fi fans, thriller fans, those that like action.
MY RATING: Four out of Five parallel universes

No comments:

Post a Comment