Saturday, September 8, 2012

Book Review: Social Suicide

TITLE: Social Suicide
Book 2 in the Hartley Featherstone series
AUTHOR: Gemma Halliday
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Mystery
PREMISE: Hartley gets caught up in another mystery when she finds the dead body of one of the most popular girls in school.
MY REVIEW: I enjoyed Deadly Cool a lot last year and this one is more of the same so I enjoyed it. Maybe I enjoyed it a little less then the first book but it's still a fun series and I'm looking forward to the next book.
I admit, Hartley can be a bit of a frustrating heroine sometimes. But at least she has some sort of brains (which is more then I can say for Halliday's adult heroine). Mostly I like the sly humor in this. It's very reminiscent of Meg Cabot (though not as good). The mystery isn't really hard to figure out and is about as plausible as most cozy mysterys go. But still, it's fun and you can do a lot worse then this.
Mostly I hope this paves the way for more YA contemporary mysteries. Because honestly other then this one, Sara Shepard's two series, and Nancy Drew there really isn't much in the way of pure YA mysteries out there. As a mystery junkie, this makes me sad.
WHO SHOULD READ: Mystery fans, Meg Cabot fans, fans of Deadly Cool
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five school papers

No comments:

Post a Comment