Thursday, September 6, 2012

Book Review: Insurgent

TITLE: Insurgent
Divergent series Book 2
AUTHOR: Veronica Roth
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopian, adventure, romance
PREMISE: Tris and Tobias are on the run from the Eurodite faction after said faction has revealed they are after Divergents and has attacked Daughtless.
MY REVIEW: I'll be honest, I still sort of think this series isn't very original and I still don't understand at all how this world works or came to be. I also still find Tobias/Tris rather boring and predictable even though at least they are a healthy couple for a change. But that aside, one can not deny that this series is highly entertaining.
Roth's strong suit is that she knows how to keep you reading. Despite my issues, I like this series and am greatly looking forward to the next book. Especially after that evil evil EVIL cliff hanger. Also I really like Roth's writing. Despite the averageness of the story being told, her writing style is nice and simple without trying too hard. She knows how to write good action (which believe me, is hard to do) and again: she knows how to entertain. I am not bored with Divergent, despite how unoriginal it is because there's always something happening and she's not afraid to kill off people. Perhaps if Wither or Matched were as entertaining as this series is I wouldn't be annoyed by those books as much.
So I have my issues with this series but I get why it's popular. It's highly enjoyable, very readable, and very entertaining. If that movie ever gets made I'm so seeing it. In short, if you loved Divergent, you will probably like this just as much. There's no sophmore slump in this continuation. It's just as fast paced and as entertaining as the first one.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Divergent, Hunger Games fans, dystopian fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five fighting factions

No comments:

Post a Comment