Monday, September 3, 2012

Book Review: Monument 14

TITLE: Monument 14
Book 1 in a series?
AUTHOR: Emmy Laybourne
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopian, apocolyptic, survival
PREMISE: After a series of disasters devastates Earth, a group of students is left abandoned in a convenience store to survive until help arrives.
MY REVIEW: Well, I don't know about anyone else but while reading this I was strongly reminded of Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. This is not a bad thing. I really liked Life as We Knew It. It just means that I didn't get much originality from this.
It is definitely a well written book. Laybourne is a good writer and she's a decent story teller. I understood what was going on, I got where characters were coming from, there was dark stuff that made you think, and so on. It's just...I didn't really LIKE anyone and I found it hard to click with the characters. Plus I'm sorry, you're trapped in a superstore while Earth is going to hell and you have several kids to take care of, you're seriously going to have teen drama? NOW? Yeah, that was just a little much of a stretch to me and part of what tried my patience with these characters so much. Seriously, Earth is going to hell. WHO CARES who's dating who.
Other then the hard to like characters and annoying teen drama, this was good with everything else (even if the scenario I found...hard to believe). It's not the strongest debut I've read this year. But it's not the worst. If there is a book two I'll definitely look into it because of where the author left it.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Life as We Knew It, apocolyptic survival fans, dystopian fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five supermarkets

No comments:

Post a Comment