Saturday, September 29, 2012

Book Review: The Girl is Trouble

TITLE: The Girl is Trouble
Book 2 in the Girl is Murder series
AUTHOR: Kathryn Miller Haines
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Mystery, historical fiction
PREMISE: Iris starts her training for detective work and immediately discovers secrets behind her mothers death.
MY REVIEW: So I just recently (as in like last month) read The Girl is Murder and while I thought it was well written...I felt it dragged and that the mystery was rather lack luster. Luckily this second has much better mysteries and twists to it.
I will say I still sort of find Iris a little irritating. However she has grown on me and there seems to be some character growth going on for her so I'm not completely writing her character off. But the biggest draw for me in this series is the fabulous writing and how much the mysteries actually work even if they aren't the best. Look, sometimes historical mysteries are eyebrow raising. But these, I get. Also I have to once again pat Miller on the back for not glamourizing the 1940s like I've seen so many movies/books do. This talks about the racism that went down in this era, especially towards Jews. Nowadays all the history teachers like to act as though the hatred of the Jewish people was strictly a German thing back then. Yeah, no. It took place in this country too (and still takes place in some cases). I also advise you to read up on what happened to Japanese Americans during world war II. It was not pretty and amazingly almost never covered in classrooms (at least not in my bible belt state). Gee, I wonder why?
So I have to say this book is a definite step up from book 1. I'm not sure if there'll be any more books in this series as this one felt rather final to me. If there are I certainly won't complain.
WHO SHOULD READ: Those that have read The Girl is Murder, Historical fiction fans, mystery fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five gumshoes



No comments:

Post a Comment