Saturday, June 25, 2016

Book Review: We Are The Ants

TITLE: We Are The Ants
AUTHOR: Shaun David Hutchinson
PUBLISHED: January 2016
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Sci-fiish, Romance
PREMISE: A boy tries to move on from the suicide of his boyfriend while aliens keep kidnapping him and trying to get him to push a red button that will avert the destruction of the planet.
MY REVIEW: This is my first time reading Hutchinson, who apparently has been around awhile. After this, I hope he becomes more well known, because this book was brilliant. I'm pretty sure it's going to be one of my top ten of the year, unless a book comes along that is better.
This book takes a premise that sounds silly and makes it work beautifully. Now if you're going into this hoping for strictly alien stuff, then...I wouldn't pick it up. The aliens are there, but the focus is mostly Henry and trying to get over grief and dealing with the issues in his family and school life. There is also a romance tied into it that I enjoyed a lot.
This one definitely was a pleasant surprise. I picked it up mostly for Pride Month and wound up enjoying and appreciating it a hell of a lot more then I expected. I wish the aliens had tied in a bit more. But at the end of the day, this was a very satisfying read.
WHO SHOULD READ: Aristotle and Dante fans, those looking for LGBTQA reads, Shaun David Hutchinson fans, those looking for books dealing with mental health issues
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five red buttons

No comments:

Post a Comment