Saturday, May 14, 2016

Book Review: On the Edge of Gone

TITLE: On the Edge of Gone
AUTHOR: Corinne Duyvis
PUBLISHED: March 8th, 2016
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopian
PREMISE: A comet heads towards Earth and everyone is fighting to get on ships in order to be saved. Denise and her family struggle to secure their place on one of the ships.
MY REVIEW: Otherbound was one of my favorite books awhile back, so I was pleased to hear that Duyvis had another book coming. This is very different from Otherbound. That was fantasy/parallel worlds, this was dystopian. Yet again, an author proves that this genre is not as dead as people are claiming. It is totally possible to do unique dystopians still. The only thing this and Otherbound have in common is the diversity. Once again, Duyvis shows that it is incredibly easy to have diversity in books. I hope more authors take notes. I will say that this one is slower then most dystopians. There's not a revolution or anything happening like that. It's mostly survival and a character study. There's also some pointed commentary as with most dystopians. This is more character study focused. A lot of it actually reminded me a bit of Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. Which is good as I liked that series quite a bit.
If you're looking for a slower paced dystopian, this one is definitely a book to pick up. Once again, I loved what Duyvis did here. I hope we see another book from her soon.
WHO SHOULD READ: Corinne Duyvis fans, dystopian fans, Life As We Knew It fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five comets

No comments:

Post a Comment