Saturday, May 7, 2016

Book Review: A Criminal Magic

TITLE: A Criminal Magic
AUTHOR: Lee Kelly
PUBLISHED: February 2016
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Historical Fantasy
PREMISE: In the 1920s, magic is outlawed in the US, but that doesn't stop people from using it...
MY REVIEW: I actually enjoyed this book quite a bit. Judging from the mixed reviews, I'm one of the few people that did. C'est la vie. But I do understand why it might not have clicked for some people. It is very slow. The romance is also...not the best. But it also didn't turn out happily ever after either, which I think would have been ten times worse then the insta-love so I'm actually kind of okay with it.
What makes this book for me, was the world building and character studies. The world building in this is great. The author recently announced this has been optioned for a possible TV series, and I totally see why. It would make for a great visual spectacle and I can see it doing well as a mini-series. I also adore this author's writing.
This is just one of those books that is not going to be for everyone. I say it's definitely worth a check out at the library to see if it's for you. I do hope the TV series happens(and that they don't white-wash it, but it's Hollywood so....).
WHO SHOULD READ: Night Circus fans, historical fantasy fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five taverns

No comments:

Post a Comment