Monday, May 2, 2016

Book Review: Mosquitoland

TITLE: Mosquitoland
AUTHOR: David Arnold
PUBLISHED: March 2015
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Realistic Fiction, Drama
PREMISE: A girl goes on a bus trip to get home to her sick mother and meets a variety of characters along the way.
MY REVIEW: Here's the thing about this book: I like the intent of it, more then I like the actual book. The intent of it is a great idea. I love road trip type of stories. You get to see lots of varieties of people in them usually, and this book definitely had a variety of characters. There even was a heartfelt story to it.
It's just...a lot of it was farfetched and I don't think the author handled certain aspects well. Like so many things happened in this book that I've NEVER seen happen on Greyhound trips and I live in the Midwest, so I've taken quite a few bus trips. Most of them are boring and people usually keep to themselves. There are also some things in it that made me raise my eyebrow a lot and side-eye the author as well, I could also tell a lot of the time, that some of the main characters' opinions weren't hers, but the authors. Considering a lot of those opinions included some pretty judgmental things, I wasn't wild about that.
The story does wrap up okay, and the writing is decent. But ultimately...it's just okay. The book felt more like a middle-grade book then a YA book and a large part of that was amateurish writing. Decent writing, but I could still tell this was a first book.
WHO SHOULD READ: John Green fans, realistic fiction fans, fans of road trip stories
MY RATING: Three out of Five greyhound buses

No comments:

Post a Comment