Saturday, April 9, 2016

Reading Through the Classics: Annie on My Mind

TITLE: Annie on My Mind
AUTHOR: Nancy Garden
PUBLISHED: 1982
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Realistic Fiction, Romance
PREMISE: Two girls meet it NYC and fall in love and deal with the consequences of their love being discovered.
MY THOUGHTS: Yes, I'm counting this as a classic. It's over thirty years old and is still very relevant and read today. That pretty much means it's here to stay, despite how much I'm sure pearl clutching parents would wish otherwise.
Now, this book is a tad dated. I'm not sure how well it would do if it was released nowadays. But sadly, the issues it talks about are still very much relevant, so I'm sure there will be plenty of teens, particularly any in the LGBT community, who would be able to relate to this on some level. It is a tad slow, particularly in the beginning. But the slowness pays off, because it develops the romance very beautifully. By the middle, if you're not rooting for this couple to be together then...I honestly don't know what to say to you.
What's particularly refreshing about it for me is, neither one of the girls dies. If any of you have been watching TV lately, you've probably noticed that queer ladies have been dying right and left lately. It's nice seeing not only neither of them die, but for them to actually get a semi-happy ending. Which is also something that's pretty rare for lesbian fiction.
All in all, I really loved this one. I definitely see why it has stuck around for so long. I don't see why parents lost their minds over it. There's nothing really explicit in it. But I suspect they wanted it banned due to the LGBT content more then the talk about sex, though I'm sure they'll claim otherwise.
WHO SHOULD READ: those looking for good LGBT books, romance fans,

No comments:

Post a Comment