Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Book Review: Death Marked

TITLE: Death Marked
Book 2 in the Death Sworn series
AUTHOR: Leah Cypess
PUBLISHED: March 3rd, 2015
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Fantasy
PREMISE: Ileni gets caught in the middle of two groups, not knowing who to swear her allegiance too...
MY REVIEW: Leah Cypess's books can be a little hit or miss for me. I wasn't wild about her Mistborn book. But I liked Death Sworn a lot because it went against usual YA rules. This book continues that and I suspect that's probably why a lot of people aren't thrilled by it.
It's full of difficult character i.e. hard to like characters, and the romance...is non existent. The romance that is there...doesn't go well. I'm trying not to give spoilers, but just don't expect happiness here.. Which is why I kind of feel like this is the most realistic handling of a romance in a dark world. So do not read this series hoping for happy endings for all. Most of this is court intrigue and character study and that's not exactly up everyone's alley.
Me...I liked it, though I feel there should be a third book as it ended somewhat abruptly. But apparently this is the last book. If you were a fan of Death Sworn, you'll probably like this, assuming you weren't in it just for the romance. If you were...sorry?
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of Death Sworn (who don't mind the romance not working out), Game of Thrones fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five doomed love stories

No comments:

Post a Comment