Friday, April 24, 2015

Book Review: The Eyre Affair

TITLE: The Eyre Affair
Book 1 in the Thursday Next series
AUTHOR: Jasper Fforde
PUBLISHED: 2001
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Alternate history/steampunk, fantasy
PREMISE: In a different world that treats books like contraband, time travel is a reality, and cloning is regulated, a priceless book is stolen and Thursday Next is put in the case which puts her in the path of a evil mastermind...
MY REVIEW: I found out about this series from a book list...somewhere. I read so many book lists. This is possibly why my TBR list is over five hundred books long. It sounded interesting and right up my alley so I picked it up.
I am so glad I did too. This series is pretty awesome. It takes place in a alternate history world and has all the imagination that that usually implies. The world-building in this is spectacular. On top of that, it's just a entertaining story. Thursday is a fun character and the narration style is great, slightly similar to Douglas Adams.
In short, I loved this. It's great fun, especially if you happen to be a literature nut. I also highly recommend the audiobook version which is how I got through it
WHO SHOULD READ: those who like books that reference other books, steampunk/alternate history fans, Gail Carriger fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five shady organizations

No comments:

Post a Comment