Thursday, April 2, 2015

Book Review: I Am Malala

TITLE: I Am Malala
AUTHOR: Malala Yousafzai with help from Christina Lamb
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: Non-Fiction
GENRE: Biography/Memoir
PREMISE: Autobiography of an activist in Pakistan who got shot by the Taliban for speaking up about girls education.
MY REVIEW: So I continue my non-fiction exploration with a book I've been meaning to read for a rather long time now. I didn't read this persay, I did the audiobook. Yes, I've taken the plunge and have gotten the overdrive app and am now in the wonderful wide world of audiobooks. I've already listened to three in two weeks. This format pleases me and is especially great for big huge clunker books. I may use it to get classics out of the way.
Reviewing biographies is a strange new experience for me because I feel as if I'm also kind of reviewing her life. But I'm not going to do that. I'm going to review the book itself. The book itself is damn good. I admit, mostly it was interesting to me because of the info about Pakistan and the culture and way of life in Pakistan. Beyond the news, I don't know much about this country other then they get a really raw deal government/military wise. This also gave much info and enlightenment over what led up to her shooting. Honestly my only issues are that it's slightly disorganized. One minute it's talking about a news report then bam, there's a story about her father, then bam, it's back to her life again. It got difficult to keep track at times. The info was all relevant and very interesting. It was just jarring going back and forth like that.
Other then the organization issue, this was a very well done book. I actually think I learned more about Pakistan in this book then I did in school and the news combined. Which, when you consider our relations with the country, is kind of sad.
WHO SHOULD READ: biography fans, those interested/familiar with her story, if you want to know a little bit about Pakistan
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five inspiring teenagers making me feel lazy

No comments:

Post a Comment