Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Book Review: Gretel and the Case of the Missing Frog Prints

TITLE: Gretel and the Case of the Missing Frog Prints
Book 1 in the Brothers Grimm Mystery series
AUTHOR: P. J. Brackston
PUBLISHED: January 15th in the US
CATEGORY: Adult
GENRE: Fantasy, Mystery
PREMISE: Gretel and Hans are all grown up now and Gretel has a mystery solving business.
MY REVIEW: I wanted to read this one the minute I heard the idea. A grown up Gretel becoming a detective? Awesome, right? Well....yes and no. There is a certain charm to this series and Gretel is awesome. I adore amateur sleuth tales and this has that in spades.
It's just...a little too stuck in the cozy mystery formula for my taste. Literally everyone BUT Gretel is incompetent and I'm not fond of when mystery series do that. Newsflash, authors, your main character can be awesome without doing your best to make the other characters all look like idiots. I also can't help but notice that aside from one or two minor characters who don't really do anything, Gretel is the only major female in the book. Yeah...not fond of that either.
I do like most of this new series. The twists on fairy tales are rather clever (I love what the author does with Peter from Peter and the Wolf), and there are some pretty hilarious moments here and there. It just...wasn't really what I call a must read and I can't say it's great because there are definitely some issues here. With some polishing, this series could be awesome. It's just not quite there yet.
WHO SHOULD READ: fairy-tale mash-up fans, cozy mystery fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five grown-up fairy tale characters

No comments:

Post a Comment