Saturday, April 18, 2015

Book Review: We Were Liars

TITLE: We Were Liars
AUTHOR: E. Lockhart
PUBLISHED: 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Realistic Fiction
PREMISE: A group of privileged teens lead a comfortable life until a tragedy happens...
MY REVIEW: So, you've likely heard about this book already. Heck, you've probably read it already. It was a pretty huge book around the blogosphere last year. Normally, I wouldn't have bothered because of the genre, but when a book gets that big I at least give it a shot. Plus, I'd read Lockhart's work before and she's a damn good writer.
Unfortunately...I don't think this is one of her better books. It's not bad...it's just not the mind blowing book that everyone made it out to be last year. The first and main problem I have with it is....it's boring. Until you get to the last fifty or so pages, it's just dull. It focuses on privileged children and goes the whole poor little rich kid route and sorry, I have little sympathy. Then the big thing happens at the end and honestly...I don't think it was the shock of a ending that the summary promised. There were some good things in it that were discussed. There is a character who actually calls out how privileged they all are. But...good discussion does not always mean good book.
Basically, there wasn't anything wrong with this, other then being boring, it was just not nearly as mind blowing as everyone kept telling me. Once again, I was a victim of overhype. This is why I want the overhype machine to stop. Or at least not get as ridiculous as it has been in recent years.
WHO SHOULD READ: E. Lockhart fans, realistic fiction fans, family drama fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five sighs

No comments:

Post a Comment