Thursday, April 16, 2015

Book Review: Cocaine Blues

TITLE: Cocaine Blues
Book 1 in the Phryne Fisher series
AUTHOR: Kerry Greenwood
PUBLISHED: 1989 (2007 in the US)
CATEGORY: Adult Fiction
GENRE: Historical Mystery
PREMISE: A lady in the 1920s takes up a case when she's abroad in Australia.
MY REVIEW: This series came to my attention quite by accident. See, I'd gotten myself hooked on the Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries series on Netflix about a month or so ago. Literally, I watched the first two seasons in about two weeks and loved every unashamed historical costume drama minute of it. If you have Netflix, seriously give it a look. It's fabulous. The minute I learned the series was based on a book series, well, I had to give said book series a look.
This is...quite different from the show. I expected this. When bringing things to TV/Movies hollywood always seems to feel the need to change things despite the fact that people liked said things just fine (can you tell I'm still bitter over Percy Jackson? Probably). In the case of the TV show, those changes didn't hurt it any. Really, the only main thing that is different is the character of Dot. In the books, she's not the really straight-laced Catholic girl she is in the TV show. I actually quite like this Dot, personally. She's not as naive. I bet TV Hughs (who doesn't seem to be in the books) would like this Dot.
While I maybe am not quite as obsessed with the books as I am with the TV show, this was still as fun. It had the lovable Phryne who was just as whip-smart as her TV counter-part, and it had a sly wit about it that I've come to associate with Aussie books. All in all, it was a fun read. I'll probably look into the rest, if only to compare the rest to their episode. I'm nerdy like that.
WHO SHOULD READ: cozy mystery fans, historical mystery fans, Miss Fisher Mystery fans, Miss Marple fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five Lady Detectives

No comments:

Post a Comment