Thursday, April 10, 2014

Book Review: Allegiant

TITLE: Allegiant
Divergent Trilogy Book 3
AUTHOR: Veronica Roth
PUBLISHED: October, 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Dystopian
PREMISE: The Divergent trilogy comes to a close as Tris and her friends take their last stand...
MY REVIEW: I'll be the first to admit, my feelings regarding the Divergent Trilogy will probably always be mixed. I never loved it as much as the rest of the YA community seemed too, yet I never felt the hatred towards that I've seen some aim its way. Honestly, to me, the trilogy is just kind of there. To me, it's always been a entertaining, but rather average dystopian. Which is why I wasn't a bit surprised when the movie turned out to be entertaining, but average.
The third book is...pretty much the same. World-building is still a mess (in fact, I kind of think it became messier with those nonsense explanations for the factions). Ultimately, aside from what happened with Tris at the end...it was pretty damn predictable. Actually, what happened with Tris was the first time I actually felt this series went outside the very firm dystopian formula it was in. Unfortunately, it happened way too late for me to really say it made the series more powerful.
When it comes to this trilogy, I'll probably always be shrugging when people ask me how I feel about it. But honestly, this one has become so huge, I don't really think any misgivings I have on the trilogy will make a difference. It's going to be around for a few more years, particularly because we are apparently getting two more movies.
WHO SHOULD READ: Divergent fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five shrugs
RATING FOR TRILOGY: Three and a half to Four out of Five (because I honestly can't make up my mind between these two ratings)

No comments:

Post a Comment