Friday, April 4, 2014

Book Review: The Warrior Heir

TITLE: The Warrior Heir
Book 1 in the Heir Chronicles
AUTHOR: Cinda Williams Chima
PUBLISHED: 2007
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
PREMISE: A boy find out he is a chosen warrior...
MY REVIEW: Let me take you way back when to 2007. Harry Potter was ending and it seemed everyone was scrambling to find a series to replace it. There was huge inflation of YA as result. Particularly the YA that followed the "boy finds out he has gift, gets whisked off to magic world, magic battle, etc." formula. On the long list of Harry Potter replacements, everyone was pointing to this series which is how it got on my radar (and promptly fell off because like I said, YA had a huge inflation in 2007 and we readers reaped the benefits).
Now that I've finally read it...it's just okay. There's nothing really wrong with it, although personally I was rather bothered by the treatment of the female characters in it (it reeked of the "tomboys are great! feminine girls suck!" attitude that tends to plague YA and we all know how I feel about THAT). But just as there's nothing really wrong with it...there's nothing here that really stands out to me either. It's pretty generic as far as these boy hero Harry Potter look alike books tend to go.
So, sorry, not really a fan. I don't hate it. I'm sure boy readers would enjoy this. Me, I'll stick with my Harry Potter and my Percy Jackson.
WHO SHOULD READ: Harry Potter fans, Percy Jackson fans, male readers looking for YA books
MY RATING: Three out of Five bland male heroes

No comments:

Post a Comment