Friday, April 25, 2014

Review: Rise of the Arcane Fire

TITLE: Rise of the Arcane Fire
Book 2 in the Secret Order series
AUTHOR: Kristin Bailey
PUBLISHED: February 4rth, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Historical Fantasy/Steampunk, Mystery
PREMISE: Meg joins the Order like she wanted, but quickly learns that all is not as it seems...
MY REVIEW: I honestly have mixed feelings about this series. Especially after this sequel. On one hand: it's steampunk. You all know how I love my steampunk. On the other hand...it's really slow.
Then there's the mixed messages. I mean, on one hand, it's very awesome that Meg is brainy and goes against the system. On the other hand...Meg is apparently the only female who does this and the book does its best to make all other females who aren't Meg out to be terrible shrews. Yeah, I'm not down with that. You can have your female character be awesome in a way that doesn't put down other types of women. Then suddenly, there's a love triangle. Worse, the other male love interest is one who puts down Meg constantly but somehow she still has a thing for him. Spare me.
So...I'm not sure if I'll be continuing this. This was a really slow sequel, and I'm not really wild about the direction the series took.
WHO SHOULD READ: fans of the first Secret Order, steampunk mystery fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five mechanical contraptions

No comments:

Post a Comment