Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Book Review: Tin Star

TITLE: Tin Star
Apparently this is the first in a new series...
AUTHOR: Cecil Castellucci
PUBLISHED: February 25th, 2014
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Science Fiction
PREMISE: A girl gets trapped on a space station when she is betrayed and must learn to survive there.
MY REVIEW: I've read Castellucci off and on for awhile now. This is the first one of hers I've read that has not been a contemporary (I believe the one she did last year was sci-fi, but I never got around to reading that one). Luckily it looks like Castellucci is one who can pull off different genres. In fact, I actually kind of like this one more then I liked her contemporary ones. But I wouldn't put much stock in that since, as I've said many times, contemporary fiction isn't really my favorite genre to begin with.
This is a more character focused sort of sci-fi. Mostly, it deals with Tula's personal growth. It's a interesting journey. Tula is a interesting character and watching her grow is pleasing. Sometimes though, I think it limits the world building a bit because we only get Tula's POV and she's stuck on the station so we only get the details she knows. Which is good, that's good writing there. But...I really want to know more about this universe she's in. It's interesting and sadly, we don't get as much info this way.
Aside from that and a slightly abrupt ending, this is a satisfying book. The writing is solid and it's a good character study. All in all, I say it's a job well done. EDIT: I just found out that apparently this is going to be a series. So that explains the abrupt ending.
WHO SHOULD READ: Castellucci fans, Sci-fi fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five space stations

No comments:

Post a Comment