Saturday, January 4, 2014

Book Review: Spookygirl

TITLE: Spookygirl: Paranormal Investigator
AUTHOR: Jill Baguchinsky
PUBLISHED: 2012
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Paranormal
PREMISE: Violet sees ghosts. Normally this wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for evil presence she keeps feeling in the girl's locker room.
MY REVIEW: I have a lot of mixed feelings about the first book I finished for this year. On one hand, I liked the sense of humor in it. There was an ease about it. It wasn't trying too hard to make me like or hate anyone. The story moved along quickly. It was overall a mostly fun read.
It's just...I've read this idea before like a million times and those that I've read, were much better. This one reminded me heavily of The Mediator series by Meg Cabot and when compared to that...well it fell short (FYI, the Mediator series is awesome, go read it now). Then I took a good look at it and realized it stereotyped quite a bit and the ending was...a little too neat. Like everything wrapped in a bow sort of neat. Which isn't bad per say...it's just not very satisfying.
So...this was cute but I've read better, I'm sorry to say. But from what I understand, this was submitted to the Amazon writing contest and was the winner. I can certainly see why. Contests like that are meant to find promising talent and I can see this author becoming a YA favorite. I just hope she polishes her next book a bit more because this one was a bit rough around the edges.
WHO SHOULD READ: Paranormal fans, Mediator series fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five angry ghosts

No comments:

Post a Comment