Thursday, January 2, 2014

Book Review: Across a Star-Swept Sea

TITLE: Across a Star-Swept Sea
Book 2 in the For Darkness Shows the Stars series
AUTHOR: Diana Peterfreund
PUBLISHED: October 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Science Fiction, Retelling
PREMISE: In this sci-fi retelling of the Scarlet Pimpernel, a girl uses her charm to spy for her queen.
MY REVIEW: Unlike with For Darkness Shows the Stars, which was based on Persuasion, I have not read the original book this one was based on. No reason, I just never had any interest in it, so it never became a priority classic for me to read. After reading this though, I have added it to the list of classics to try this year, which I think is a compliment to this book because as I've said: before this I had zero interest in reading it.
This is more of a companion of sorts to For Darkness Shows the Stars. It takes place in the same universe, but involves a different place and different characters. I actually am going to be honest here: I actually liked this one even more then the first one (and I enjoyed that one quite a bit). Not that this surprises me. Peterfreund is one of those unsung YA authors who deserve way more recognition then she gets. Her writing is always wonderful, she always has well developed worlds, great characters, and manages to have interesting things to discuss in her books without hitting you over the head with the message. She does this while keeping it entertaining as well. This is not an easy feat.
I really enjoyed this one. But as mentioned before, I'm an ashamed Peterfreund fangirl. So don't take my word for it. Check out her books for yourself. I would start with either For Darkness Shows the Stars or Rampant.
WHO SHOULD READ: Diana Peterfreund fans, science fiction fans
MY RATING: Four and a half out of Five spy girls

No comments:

Post a Comment