Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Book Review: Demonosity

TITLE: Demonosity
AUTHOR: Amanda Ashby
PUBLISHED: August 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy, Demons
PREMISE: A girl finds herself battling demons (literally) when an ancient evil takes over the body of one of the popular girls at her school.
MY REVIEW: Looking for quirky fun urban fantasy? Ashby is the author to go too. She writes clever but not trying too hard urban fantasy books that are good for kicks.
This one is no different. It takes the demon thing that has become popular in YA and puts a new spin on it. There are very familiar tropes in here and the ending is a bit ho hum. But the humor, interesting idea, and quick pace make this a very decent library read. I also would like to note the actual inclusion of an asexual character. This is only the second time in all the books I've read in my life where I've seen a fictional asexual character actually present in the plot. Oh, and interesting tidbit: both of those books were YA. I can't think of one adult book that has even mentioned asexuality as a possibility for a character (if any of you know of one, please let me know, I'd be curious to read it).
So yes, this is a wee bit trope heavy but it's a fun trope heavy. I always say if you're going to do tropes, do them in a fun way.
WHO SHOULD READ: Amanda Ashby fans, UF fans
MY RATING: Three and a half out of Five hot demons

No comments:

Post a Comment