Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten 2013 Book So Far

This is a weekly meme hosted by the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish .

This week: Top Ten Books of 2013 So Far

Though we could do older books, for people's sake, I'm sticking to ones published this year. You don't need more gushing about Games of Thrones and Looking For Alaska because chances are, you already know about them.

1)Lunar Chronicles Book 2: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer-So far, this has been my favorite sequel (the sequel to Unspoken and the last Daughter of Smoke and Bone book haven't come out yet so this may change). It did everything sequels should do: deftly continue the story, introduce new characters who help the story along, and developed previous characters and plot. I seriously cannot wait for Cress.

2) Heist Society series Book 3: Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter-Carters books are always a favorite. I have no doubt I will love United We Spy coming out in September as well.

3) Bhinian Empire series Book 1: City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster-A fantasy/mystery and one of the more creative YA books I've read in awhile. It saddens me that it hasn't become more popular.

4) The Archived Book 1: The Archived by Victoria Schwab-I know I'm in the minority here, but I loved this book. I guess it was just too quirky for people or something.

5) Finishing School series Book 1: Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger-I loved the Parasol Protectorate series and it's YA spin-off series did not disappoint me. I can't wait for the second book in November.

6) The Madman's Daughter Trilogy Book 1: The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepard-Despite a somewhat shaky middle (and a forced love triangle) this book wound up being a rather decent sequel/expansion of sorts on The Island of Dr. Moreau. Considering the evil cliff hanger, I eagerly anticipate the sequel which apparently is going to involve Frankenstein this time. Bring it.

7) Poison by Bridget Zinn-I love quirky fantasy books (hence my love affair with Pratchett and Dianna Wynne Jones) and this fantasy has that in spades and is just plain enjoyable.

8) Unraveling series Book 2: Unbreakable by Elizabeth Norris-Unraveling was a surprise favorite from last year and I wound up loving the sequel just as much.

9) Sister Assassins Book 1: Mind Games by Kiersten White-While I maybe didn't love this as much as the Paranormalcy Trilogy (and believed me, I loved that quite a bit), I did still enjoy it quite a bit and can't wait for the sequel.

10) Shades of London series Book 2: The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson-Johnson never disappoints, I loved this just as much as In the Name of the Star, if not more so.

Others I enjoyed that didn't quite make the cut: Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans, Everbound by Brodi Ashton, Nobody by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, Also Known As by Robin Benway, Spirit and Dust by Rosemary Clement-Moore (literally just finished yesterday), The Essence by Kimberly Derting, Just One Day by Gayle Foreman, Spellcaster by Claudia Gray, Boundless by Cynthia Hand, The Dead and the Buried by Kim Harrington, The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa, Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers, Pretty Girl 13 by Liz Coley, Prodigy by Marie Lu, Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead, Unbroken by Paula Morris, Shades of Earth by Beth Revis, Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi, Altered by Jennifer Rush, Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys, Orleans by Sherri Smith, Icons by Margaret Stohl, 17 and Gone by Nova Ren Suma, Pivot Point by Kasie West, and The Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell.

Now you know how hard making this list was for me...


4 comments:

  1. So much awesome! I can't wait to start The Madman's Daughter on my vacation next week. List making is so hard...http://wp.me/pzUn5-1yN

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES. City of a Thousand Dolls is my 2013 best read so far, although I didn't put it on my list because I read it after I made it. So, so good. Great list!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list, I love Perfect Scoundrels as well.

    ReplyDelete