Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Book Review: Nameless

TITLE: Nameless
Book 1 in the Tale of Beauty and Madness series
AUTHOR: Lili St. Crow
PUBLISHED: April 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Urban Fantasy, Fairy Tale Retelling mash-up
PREMISE: In this UF take on Snow White, Cami was discovered and adopted nameless and mute. Now sixteen, she starts to learn the secrets of her birth and heritage...
MY REVIEW: I tried to get into this one. It's a retelling and I love retellings. But this one just didn't click with me for some reason. I can't put my finger on why. I think part of it is that I don't particularly see this as a Snow White retelling. It was more a story that had some illusions to Snow White (there's an apple for instance, a hairpin which is part of the original SW, and the hunter), but bears little resemblance to SW. It kind of bugs me when authors say it's one thing, but really it's just the bare minimum to pass as that thing because that thing happens to be popular and sell well in YA. Saw it in Showalter's Alice in Zombieland, and it's the same deal here.
Though at least this is more tolerable then Alice in Zombieland even if it didn't click with me. I can imagine other readers getting into it, particularly those of the UF persuasion. I just have read way to many similar stories to this to really call it original.
So this was...okay. I'm just not very eager to continue it. Sometimes books just don't click with you and it's not that they're really bad, it's just you and the book. That is what happened with me and Nameless.
WHO SHOULD READ: Once Upon a Time fans, Alex Flinn fans, fairy-tale mash-up fans
MY RATING: Three out of Five apples

No comments:

Post a Comment