Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Book Review: Icons

TITLE: Icons
Book 1 in the Icons series
AUTHOR: Margaret Stohl
PUBLISHED: May 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Science Fiction/Fantasy/Dystopian
PREMISE: Ever since the aliens took over Dol and Ro have been in hiding. When they're discovered, their lives change.
MY REVIEW: This is a tricky book to review. I liked it. I didn't love it as much as I loved, say Beautiful Creatures, but I do think it was good. However it has a writing style/way of telling the story that I'm sure will drive some readers mad. It actually took me some getting used too and I liked the book.
The story is interesting enough. It's maybe not the most original thing in the world, but it's entertaining to a degree and has enough of it's own ideas to not be a rip-off of things. It's fast-paced, there's enough romance and action and it's a good lead in for a bigger series.
It's just one of those that isn't going to necessarily appeal to everyone. Which is probably why it's gotten so many mixed reviews. So I liked it, and look forward to the next book, but I rec it with the knowledge that there's a fifty percent chance that the book won't appeal to you.
WHO SHOULD READ: Beautiful Creatures fans, dystopian fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five alien detention centers

No comments:

Post a Comment