Sunday, June 2, 2013

Book Review: Boundless

TITLE: Boundless
Book 3 in the Unearthly Trilogy
AUTHOR: Cynthia Hand
PUBLISHED: January 2013
CATEGORY: YA
GENRE: Angels, Urban Fantasy, Romance
PREMISE: Clara deals with college, growing up, and trying to move on from her breakup with Tucker.
MY REVIEW: Last books in trilogies are always tricky things. Everyone always has those things they want to happen and usually it doesn't and people will ultimately get upset about it (see Mockingjay backlash). While I didn't love EVERYTHING about Boundless, it was good and satisfying ending.
I will say there were a few things that disappointed me. The baby thing was really unnecessary but then I tend to get twitchy eyed whenever YA tries to tackle teen pregnancy because they are never handled properly unless it's specifically about teen pregnancy and even then... Plus it was just a whole one-eighty for Angela's character. Honestly, I didn't get the purpose of that whole story line at all. As someone who loved Angela...that annoyed me. I also felt annoyed by Christian's exit because that was rather unresolved in my opinion (and I'm not even Team Christian) but I have a feeling the author is doing that to give us a spin-off about Christian. So I wouldn't be surprised if we get an announcement about a book (or series) for him soon. Such is the way of the YA publishing world. Another one who could possibly get a spin-off is Jared because again: many unresolved issues.
But at least I got my Team Tucker ending but really, even that was kind of obviously going to happen. I would have really been shocked if she had ended up with Christian. I wouldn't have been dismayed (I never put much stock into these team battles really, even if Tucker was my favorite), but I would have been surprised. But this brought Clara's character full circle and it ended her story so really I can't complain too loudly even if I don't like everything that happened.
WHO SHOULD READ: Unearthly Trilogy fans, angel book fans
MY RATING: Four out of Five feathers

No comments:

Post a Comment